Taming Dinos in Ark Survival Evolved: Methods, Resources, and Strategies
In Ark: Survival Evolved, taming dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures is a key aspect of the game, transforming the ferocious creatures from potential threats into invaluable allies. Whether you're looking to ride a Triceratops or want a T-Rex to guard your base, this guide will provide detailed steps on taming, along with the best methods, necessary resources, and strategies for different types of dinosaurs.
Basics of Taming
Taming a creature in Ark: Survival Evolved usually involves three main steps:
- Rendering the Creature Unconscious: This can be done using tranquilizing tools like slingshots, tranquilizer arrows, or certain creatures' attacks.
- Feeding the Unconscious Creature: Each creature has a preferred food. Feeding it this food will increase its taming effectiveness.
- Protecting the Unconscious Creature: During the taming process, the creature can be attacked by other wild animals. Defending it until the taming process is complete is essential.
Taming Tools and Resources
Here are some key items and resources you'll need in the taming process:
- Tranquilizers: These include tools like a slingshot (early game), tranquilizer arrows or darts (mid to late game). Narcotics or narcoberries can be used to keep the dinosaur unconscious during the taming process.
- Food: Meat, berries, and fish are basic food types. Advanced foods like kibble, specific to certain dinos, can speed up the taming process.
- Taming Tools: Items like the bola can immobilize smaller dinosaurs, making the taming process easier. A taming pen can protect the unconscious dino from other creatures.
Taming Strategies for Different Types of Dinosaurs
Different types of dinosaurs require different strategies:
Herbivores are generally more straightforward to tame. Here's a typical process:
- Subdue: Use your tranquilizing tools to render the dinosaur unconscious. Be careful, many herbivores are strong and fast, and they might fight back or flee.
- Feed: Once unconscious, place their preferred food item into their inventory. Generally, herbivores eat berries or crops, and some have a specific preference.
Carnivores can be more challenging due to their aggressive nature. The steps are similar to herbivores, but with higher stakes:
- Subdue: Rendering a carnivore unconscious can be dangerous. It's often best to use ranged tranquilizing tools from a safe distance or height.
- Feed: Carnivores prefer different types of meat, including raw, cooked, or prime varieties. Some even prefer fish.
Certain dinosaurs, like the Giganotosaurus or Quetzal, have unique taming methods. Some require you to keep them conscious while feeding (passive taming) or even chase them through the air. For these special cases, it's recommended to check a reliable Ark: Survival Evolved taming guide for specific instructions.
Safety and Protection during Taming
During taming, both you and the dinosaur are vulnerable. Here are some safety tips:
- Clear the Area: Before starting the taming process, clear the area of any potential threats.
- Build a Taming Pen: For additional security, build a pen to house the dinosaur during the taming process.
- Bring Backup: If playing with others, have them guard you and the dinosaur during the taming process.
Taming is a rewarding, fundamental aspect of Ark: Survival Evolved. It can be a challenge, but the result is well worth the effort: a loyal, powerful creature ready to aid you in your survival endeavors. With this guide, you're ready to tame the beasts of Ark. Happy hunting, survivor!